SMOKE is a game to engage your creative mind about your character by playing with metaphors. This is great for steering around creative blocks by skipping logical thought entirely. Some of your answers will be silly, but that’s okay, because some won’t. And some might give you the insight you were looking for.
Presented by Peter Elbow in Writing With Power, possibly adapted from John Gardner in On Becoming a Novelist. (Although I learned it from Bruce Holland Rogers.)
1) If your character were a color, what color would he/she be? (WAS a color, not the character’s favorite color)
2) If your character were an animal, what animal would he/she be?
3) If your character were a piece of technology, what piece of technology would he/she be?
4) If your character were a mode of transportation, what mode of transportation would he/she be?
5) If your character were a food, what food would he/she be?
6) If your character were physically constructed out of a particular material or substance, what substance would he/she be made of?
7) If your character were a type of weather, what type of weather would he/she be?
(You can make up more questions like these on your own. There’s no limit.)